Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Strawberry Jam

strawberry picking
Our nephews spent the night and we went strawberry picking last weekend. We got caught in the rain which I was thankful for because it was hot. Wil ate the whole time and Sammy was very focused on picking.
sammy    wil
If you’ve ever thought about canning/freezing, jams are about as easy as it gets so it’s a great first recipe to try. The recipe I use comes from the Sure Jell box. I typically freeze my jam because it is so fast, but you can also hot water bath jams to store on the shelf.
jam jars2

Freezer Strawberry Jam
1. Wash and rinse freezer containers.  (I use small plastic or small canning jars)
2. Prepare fruit. Wash, de-stem and mash with a potato masher or food processor.  Don’t puree, but pulse to a very fine chop.
3. Measure 2c. of smashed strawberries
4. Add 4c. of sugar to the strawberries. Mix well. Let stand 10 minutes.
5. Stir 1 box of Sure Jell pectin and 3/4 c. of water in a small saucepan.
6. Bring to a boil on high heat stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly, then remove from heat.
7. Stir pectin mixture into fruit mixture. Stir until sugar is dissolved about 3 minutes.
8. Pour into prepared containers leaving 1/2 inch of headspace for expansion in the freezer.
9. Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours or until set. Refrigerate for 3 weeks or freeze for 1 year.jam jars
Did you purchase new silver rings and lids? I finally caved even though I have plenty of the gold, but I do like the way these look. 

No comments:

Post a Comment